Jessica - Meridian, Idaho

I believe that every person should have goals in their life. Having goals can be important in achieving dreams and feeling full filled and accomplished. Achieving a goal can also higher a person’s self esteem and give them confidence. Goals keep you oriented and help you to know where you are heading in life. Not all goals have to be big, but having small goals and working your way towards a big goal can be just as beneficial. You can’t get to the big goals without achieving little goals along the way to help you. Having goals in my life has helped me out a lot. Because I knew what I wanted to do it helped me throughout my life achieve my goals.

Ever sense I was little I knew I wanted to go to college and have a good career. I worked hard in school to try and do my best so I could get accepted into the college of my choice. Once I got to high school, I started to work extremely hard to keep up good grades and achieve good SAT scores and ACT scores. I always received the academic achievement award they would give out every year in school. During the last two years of high school I started to really improve in my school work and got accepted into college. I would spend a lot of time doing homework and studying to try and get good grades. I knew that working hard in school would eventually pay off in helping me get accepted into college. Even though getting good grades on my assignments was a small goal, I knew that it would help me towards my bigger goal of getting into college. However, school work used to not always be easy for me.

When I was elementary school and middle school, I use to have a lot of trouble with math and doing the homework. I did not understand math and I hated it. I would work for long periods of time trying to figure out math. I would do okay enough on the assignments when I turned them in but the tests were really hard for me. Until about eighth grade I didn’t get math. I wanted to do well in it and I made it a goal to try to understand math and figure it out. In eighth grade I started to understand it more because I had a really good teacher, and started to improve. I worked hard in trying to accomplish the goal in doing well in math when I knew it wasn’t my best subject. I would go in and ask teachers questions and ask for help when I didn’t understand something, thus helping my grade. It wasn’t a big goal I accomplished but it helped improve my GPA because I started getting A’s in math after that. There was only one year in high school when I didn’t get an A in math. Getting the good grades in math helped me towards my bigger goal of getting into a college.

Once I started doing better in math my other grades improved. I got more confidence in myself as a student and it made me excited to learn. I started to really enjoy school and since I knew I wanted to go to college it gave me something to work towards. I liked doing the work because I started to understand it which made it fun. I work hard not just in math, but in Science and English and all the other subjects as well. Because I started to enjoy learning, it made school more fun! Loving to learn helped me accomplish my goal of getting into college.

Because I got into college and achieved my goal, my new long-term goal is to get a major in political science. I am currently trying to get the best grades I can and work hard in college. Once I major in political science I am going to apply to law school. One thing that I am doing to also help get into law school is by joining the pre law society. Learning how goals are important, helped me to join the club because I know that joining would be helpful towards getting accepted into law school. I never joined any kind of organization while I was in high school . I am also planning on interning at a law firm starting my junior year of college that will also help me get into law school. Having this goal to go law school has helped me to have something to strive for. It helps me to stay focused and realize what is important in my life. Getting into law school is only a step towards my ultimate goal. I also need to pass law school.

I am planning on working very hard in law school. I will try and get the best grades I can. I want to learn everything I can from law school to help me be better trained in law. The better trained in law I am, the better lawyer I will be. I want to be a lawyer for awhile, achieving a strong knowledge of the legal system, and then eventually become a judge. I want to work in a court room and deal with civil cases like small claims courts.

I recommend that every person sets goals for themselves in their life. It can be very helpful towards guiding someone in a good direction. It helps people stayed focused and gives them something to work for. From having personal experience, I learned that having goals is very important. I have had goals for my life since I was little and it helped me achieve a lot. I started to have my grades improve in 8th grade and actually enjoyed working towards my goal of getting into college. Because I was willing to work hard in school even though at times it was a struggle, I got into college But just because I got into college doesn’t mean I stopped having goals. My goal now is to work hard to get accepted into law school. Once I get accepted into law school I’m going to also work equally as hard in trying to graduate from law school. Eventually I want to be a judge. If you don’t have goals you’re living a life without a plan for your future. Mapping out your future is crucial to a happy and successful life.