The Mosaic of Life and Love

Robert - Weirton, West Virginia
Themes: love

I have often thought about love, probably more than anyone should. I so want to love someone and to be loved in return. Is that really asking so much? I have had my share of heartbreaks and unrealized expectations in the area of Love. So I prefer to look to the great writers of our times. I believe almost everything ever written about love to be true. It was William Shakespeare who said, “Journeys end with Lovers meeting” What an extraordinary thought…. I have never experienced this type of love, but I am willing to believe Shakespeare had. It was also Shakespeare who said “Love is Blind” THAT I know to be true, for I have seen evidence of this in my life and in the lives of others around me. People choosing the wrong person believing they will change or choosing not to see their faults. Love is a funny thing, for some, quite inexplicably, LOVE fades. For others, it is simply lost. In others, like my grandparents, who lived to celebrate their 76th anniversary before my grandfather died, it continues on undaunted even in death. My grandmothers love for him transcended the grave, and she would go and visit his grave every chance she could and talk to him, up until her own death a few short months later. One thing that never ceases to amaze me about love is it’s power to alter and transform lives. Once one has been touched by love, positive or negative, it leaves a mark on our souls and we are never quite the same again. Even heartbreak can be an integral part of the tapestry and mosaic that shapes us and our lives forever.

I’ve been thinking a lot about mosaics lately. Mosaic is an art form often involving tiles that are cut and shaped and then assembled to form pictures, often very different from the source the tiles came from. In the movie “The Terminal”, starring Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta Jones, Victor Navorsky(Tom Hanks) makes this beautiful fountain for Amelia Jane Warren(Catherine Zeta Jones), to show his love for her. It features a mosaic made from collectable souvenir plates etc, that were broken and put back together to make something quite different. From what I’ve read about mosaic art, very often the raw materials are gathered from chipped and broken tiles that were being thrown away. I think all too often we do that in our lives. We get our hearts broke, shattered really, and we simply sweep up the pieces and throw them away, never seeing their potential. I met a woman today like that, she’s having problems with her estranged lover who she’s been separated from almost a year. She was going to move back down there to him at the end of August, but they are having problems and now she’s not sure. She did say that if it didn’t work out that she would never have another man in her life, just her cats. A shattered heart swept up, and simply thrown away. Ahhh, but the mosaic artist sees this and realizes she is right, that it will never, can never be put back the way it was, but he sees how the pieces can be used to make a different picture all together, not the way it was, but just as, if not even more beautiful then it was originally. He sees the potential in the broken misshapen remnants of the tiles and pulls them from the trash. We in our lives have the same choice, to pick up the pieces and throw them away, OR to resolve to save the pieces and form them into something beautiful, albeit different, than we originally hoped. However change is never easy, and it can be very hard to see any potential in the shattered remnants of our heart and life, esp. in the initial aftermath of the life altering event. It can be done though, and sometimes the mirror of our trusted family and friends can provide the perspective and support that we need to begin looking at the possibilities. Anyway, just something to think about. Have a blessed day.