Family relationships

alexis - star, Idaho

Most teenagers believe that parents want to punish and annoy them until the day they become adults. That all parents live for is to never let them do anything, make our lives miserable and don’t care about what is going on in our lives. I once believed this. My life was circled around my friends, my job and myself. I was never home to help out with the daily chores, or eat dinner and share my day with my family. Not that I wanted to. I didn’t think that what happened during my day had any value to the rest of my family. I felt like an outsider in my own family.

After returning from work, I washed my face and walked into my room. I saw my mom sitting on my chair looking at me; I knew that she wanted to talk. As I sat on my bed I looked back at her, wondering why she hadn’t began talking. She just stared at me.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I’m just trying to remember what my daughter looks like”, my mom replied. I was so confused; all I could do was stare.

“I don’t even know who you are anymore, you never talk to me. You come home, do your homework then go to bed”.

“I’m sorry”, I said. “I don’t know why you are getting upset with me.”

She said that she didn’t know who I was or what I was doing. I thought this was pointless. I don’t know why she wanted to take an interest in my life now.

My mom had never acted this way. I had no idea what to say to her. She explained to me that she didn’t want us to be best friends; she wanted us to talk and have a healthy mother- daughter relationship. She didn’t care if the things that I had to say were things that I know she didn’t want to hear. She wanted me to tell her about school and cheer and boys. I was completely shocked when I heard this. I always thought that she wouldn’t care about those things. I thought it was always awkward to talk to my mom about dating and my friends with her. I didn’t really think that she would understand. When I saw the tears fill up in her blue-green eyes, I knew that I never wanted her to feel this way. It was my fault that she was so sad. Did I really want to be on bad terms with my own mother 10 years from now?

My mom and I have a very good relationship now. We aren’t best friends, but we still do things together and talk with one another about things going on in our lives. I am an active member in my family and love being with my family. The chores aren’t that great but that’s okay. I believe that teenagers should talk with their parents. I know some will think that it’s awkward and that parents don’t understand. But in reality they have been through the same things, just different circumstances. I love my mom and my family. I believe everyone should have a family member that you are able to talk to.