For the Love of Horses

Catlin - Waxhaw, North Carolina

I believe that horses can heal broken hearts. If you give them a chance and bond with them, they can heal almost any broken heart.

I first fell in love with horses when my neighbor got her first horse. I remember begging her to let me ride him and looking so goofy on him because he was so short, but I didn’t care. When I was twelve, my mom and dad got me my first horse, Spanky, and my heart automatically became attached to him. Three years later, we ended up having to put him down, because of a broken leg. I cried for days and felt so alone without my companion. Another three years passed and I was ready to give my love to another horse. I got my second horse, General. He was a horse that needed a little TLC you could say. Sadly, we ended up having to put him down last year because of a bacterial infection from colic. I thought I was cursed when it came to horses, that I wasn’t meant to have one and God was punishing me for something I had done. I told my parents that I didn’t want another horse and wanted to get rid of everything that had to do with them. Then I had new neighbors move in next door to me, and they had a black Thoroughbred mare that had an abusive and interesting story behind her. She had belonged to a little girl who had kept her stalled up all the time and gave her sedatives to ride her. My neighbor asked me if I wanted to barrow her for a while to keep my mom’s horse company, until we could afford our own. I accepted thinking I would do my neighbor a favor and work with the horse and get her used to people again. I told myself that I wouldn’t get attached because she wasn’t exactly mine to own. That all changed when my neighbor walked her over to our houses and the horse, named Melody, was prancing, and snorting with wild eyes. I looked her in the face and saw anger and pain from years of abuse. There was something in Melody’s personality that I couldn’t ignore, her spunkiness and ability to not give a crap about anything, like me. I knew she was going to be a hand full and would take a lot of work, but she made me feel like I should give her a chance to show her true self. I felt like she did need another chance to be loved, cared for, and to learn to trust humans again. Even though Melody still has that “mare attitude”, she is still the sweetest horse and fun to mess with.

Melody has healed the hole in my heart that was made so long ago. She taught me to not give up on my love of horses, just because of something that was out of my control.