Soap Bubbles

Rachel - Waxhaw, North Carolina

I believe in the power of soap. I believe that when I lather it on my body it washes away the sweat and grime of the day. I believe that it is essential to use soap after using the bathroom or getting coughed on by an infected person. Soap makes things clean, including my mouth. My parents have always meant business when it comes to discipline. I got one warning, and if I dared to repeat the offense, I suffered the consequences. In one specific case, I said a word that I had heard another kid whisper. That word was not to be spoken again, or I would get my mouth washed out with soap. My blunder escalated when I decided to be a gutsy idiot and repeat the word. Sure enough, my mom grabbed my arm, drug me into the bathroom, picked up the bar of soap, and slathered it on my tongue. My gag reflex had a quick response, but my mom kept the soap in my mouth. The scent was overwhelming and the salvia was building as I tried not to swallow. It was over in just a few minutes, but to me it felt like the clock had slowed itself just for the occasion. The time gave me the opportunity to think about why I was eating bubbles. I had disobeyed my parents and they were punishing me, yet as backwards as it seemed, they were doing it out of love. The soap was not a pleasant experience, but it was effective. I never had my mouth washed out with soap again.

I believe that it is the parents’ role in society to discipline their kids. As a kid, I only obeyed when I was required to. Tolerating bad behavior does not equate to loving your child. Apathy is the opposite of love. When you don’t set standards for your children, you send the message that you don’t care what they do. It is essential to discipline kids until they are old enough to discern for themselves the proper way to act in society. Discipline is imperative to creating people who care about more than themselves. Just as everyone encourages you to take a shower to smell fresh, I encourage you to set rules for your kids and adhere to them. Because I believe that soap makes things clean.