The Future, Revisited

Aaron - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: hope, race

The Future, Revisited

I believe in the future. I believe that racism won’t exist, and that we will all be able to live in a world free of violence and hate. If our world were to be free of hate and violence, then maybe we all would be one united human race.

In a world free of drugs, crime, and hate, all could live in unison without threat of nuclear war. According to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., “Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.” This not only inspired me to write about this topic, but to try to change my community to be beneficial for all. I do this by watching how people treat others of a different race. When they say something inappropriate, I approach them and tell them what they said was wrong and should not be tolerated by anyone of any race. I have noticed that sometimes people who are white almost always assume people who are Mexican-American are all illegal aliens. Some whites call Mexicans “wetbacks” or other racial slurs too vulgar to mention. I live in the Southwest U.S., so I hear those things all the time, and I can only imagine how the comments can break down a person’s self-esteem.

At my school I am in Builder’s Club. We work for the community such as cleaning up our parks and schools. Also at the end of every month, we visit our local retirement community. We eat lunch and socialize with the residents. I chose to tell you about this because in this essay I incorporate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his message of love and hope. Hopefully when I get older, I will be able to instill the same into others.

No one person can change the world, but if everyone were to ban together to fight this global problem, then that would be a revolution of its own. In the future we might be able to live in a hate-free world, or we might get to experience a change far beyond getting one person to stop hate and crime against others.

When I think about Barack Obama, I remember that as well as Martin Luther King, Barack Obama is faced with struggles and hardships, but both of them pulled through and changed the world. It makes me happy to see that even though hate and racism still exist, we overcame the odds and elected an African-American president.

I think Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would be proud.

I believe in the future. I believe that racism won’t exist, and that we will all be able to live in a world free of violence and hate. If our world were to be free of hate and violence, then maybe we all would be one, united human race. That can’t happen unless we all come together and try to diminish this disease against humanity.