Indulgence

Alexia - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: pleasure

Indulgence

I believe in food. Yummy, delicious food. Food may be nourishment, but to me, it matters. It matters to me like I’m sure family matters to you. You love them, but they can get annoying, and sometimes you want them to go away.

All my life I’ve been called fat. By my parents, my family, my friends, people from across the street. Now, even though I’m a barely over average, average isn’t good enough to most people. I have a normal metabolism, which means if I eat an extra piece of cake, I will gain weight. And I do eat extra cake. About five extra pieces of cake.

Some people at my school think they’ll lose weight if they eat miniscule amounts of things. A few people buy junk food and eat very little of it. Like Oreos, Cheetos, beef jerky, and blueberry slushies. Not to mention the potato chips they always get in the deli line at school. It doesn’t work.

Let’s face it. America is made up of junk food, obese people who live off of fast food restaurants and diet freaks who eat a sandwich and spend the rest of the day exercising to work off the calories. Across the world in Africa, people are dying because of food related causes. They wish for what we have. What I have. Indulgence.

Every day at lunch, my friends say, “Alexia, stop eating. Isn’t that your sixth piece of cake?”

I smile at them. Everyday, I eat the normal school lunch, like almost everybody else. Sometimes I even eat breakfast twice. Everyday, I gain a few pounds, and a few inches. I walk around my school to burn it off every morning.

But one day when I complained about it to one of my best friends, she said, “Alexia, you’re not fat. You’re big. You’re just taller, so consequently you weigh more.”

It made me re-think everything I had thought about myself. Now I know that I am tall, not fat. That self-confidence is what makes you want to take care of your body. That if you like yourself, you will be more influenced to treat yourself right. I like myself. I treat myself right.

I’m not saying I’m a good example. I eat pizza every Friday night and cake every day at school. But my parents have taught me that you need to take everything in proportions. That is how I’m going to do things from now on. And now, after I’m finished with this, I’m going eat my lunch and a few extra pieces of cake, because I’m not worried about being overweight anymore.