Kill with Kindness

Laura - Chicago, Illinois

Kill with Kindness

I’m sure you, the person sitting next to you, your parents, your friends, pretty much everyone you know has gotten angry because someone they are talking to or know or even do not know has been ignorant, rude or just plain nasty to you or the person you know for no apparent reason. In these kinds of situations there are three things one can do: one, be completely and one hundred percent just as angry and rude, two, walk away, or three, move past the anger and frustration and be kind.

Now, you’re probably wondering why would I ever be kind in a situation where, let’s say… you’re at a store and first off there is no sales person what-so-ever anywhere around you. When you finally find one and ask the employee for a different size he or she doesn’t even hear you at first because she has her headphones in, and when she finally realizes you are there, she rolls her eyes and goes in the back to pretend and look for what you wanted. As you might have guessed, she comes back empty handed. In this situation you would pick one of three, but I would choose to kill with kindness. I would hide all my frustration, smile really big and say, “Thanks for going out of your way for me. I really, really appreciate it”.

I first heard this advice in high school; it was something my cheerleading coach would always say around competition time because not only do the judges notice your routine on the floor but they notice the way you act around the other teams. The first time I actually killed with kindness was kind of “bring it on” style. It was at the state finalist’s competition against our rival, Lemont. Now to fully understand the intensity of the situation you need to know that in every competition that year Lemont had beaten us, until Sectionals, which is the weekend before state. On the second day of state Lemont decided to do a part of their routine full out in the practice gym. Now, mind you, the practice gym is just to stretch and get loose. Yet, they began yelling their routine and were intentionally facing us to attempt to show who was better. At the end of their little routine our entire team decided to hide all of our aggravation and annoyance and kill with kindness. So when they were finished we smiled, stood up, clapped and cheered for them. By doing so we hoped that next time they would think twice before trying to show off to get even, and we also showed all the people who were watching how easy it is to be the bigger person in the situation by just being nice. Just to prove how killing with kindness can really affect someone, at the end of the day we were awarded with the State Champion Title and Lemont was awarded runner up.

So killing with kindness really can work. Honestly, it is probably one of the best ways to get your point across and bring a little more kindness into the world. So the next time you’re at the store or out to eat or even at a State Championship and you experience this type of situation, try something new, skip steps one and two, forget about being frustrated and be kind, it will really kill them.