Running Is A Panacea For The Soul

Zachary - waxhaw, North Carolina
Themes: sports

Running has always been in my family. As I get older I don’t know how anyone can live without running. I believe running is the panacea for the soul. It helps some one who is down, angry, lost, or just wanting to find a friend. At the end of a run your head is clear of all feeling, except your throbbing muscle aches, and you are ready to face the world.

Many tell me that running is just a big waste of time. I tell them that I don’t know how they survive without running. Running is a time that I am able to invest in myself. I plan for the day ahead or just think back to what happened today. When I go on a run all the stress, anger, and disappointment in my life disappears. When I have problems I need to think about I just slip on my running shoes and go for a run. While on a run I find myself working things out in my head, solving life’s little dilemmas. There is a saying that running is 90% mental and 10% physical. That statement is true. Running is a thought process, and the only way one can finish a race is through mental will power.

Running is the only sport where your competitors are your closest friends and the ones who help you do your best. People that I run with don’t care about how much my parents make or where I shop for clothes. All they care about is if I love the sport as much as they do. The friends you make while running will listen to you and help you with your problems. At the end of a run not only do you feel that you have accomplished something but your mind is emptied and you are ready to face whatever is next.

Now I do have to admit that running can be some times hard to enjoy like when you are half way up a hill that seems it will never end, or the many times I have been attacked by dogs and even bitten on more than one occasion. But nevertheless when I finish that hill or get away from those dogs, I always feel like I have accomplished something.

A run is able to take care of a hurt soul by reintroducing it to nature. There’s nothing like smelling the dew on the ground in the morning as you stretch for your run. Or the sight of flowers on the side of the road that you don’t see in your car because you’re too busy speeding by. On a run, one tends to enjoy the simple things that go on around them.

It seems that a simple run might be able to cure all of life’s problems that are troubling the soul. A run enables you to check out of the world for awhile and gain new perspectives. For me running is the best panacea. I am glad I am a runner and would not have it any other way.