I Believe in Repecting Others

Gwendolynn - Sinclair, Wyoming
Themes: respect

I believe in treating every person with respect. For the first time in my life yesterday, I broke down on the side of the road. Unbelievable. My car just completely died. I immediately called my husband and half begged half demanded that he come get me pronto, which he of course did, but in the mean time I was stuck on a hill just like I was getting ready to make a right hand turn. So, I automatically put on my flashers after I knew my car died so that people would know to go around me. There I was waiting for about fifteen minuets while about ten cars passed me. I don’t know what it is about Wyoming, but apparently this is not a universal sign to “pass and go around”. I had to wave at least two people on, and the last one was incredibly rude.

I was talking on my cell phone to my husband the entire time because I was so nervous and uncomfortable, when this man came up behind me. Remember: I have my flashers on. He was in a gigantic truck and looked like a younger guy. He came up right behind me on my bumper, just sitting there getting impatient for about five minuets, going on and off the breaks. He finally starts motioning to me that I am a stupid woman just chatting on my cell phone while I should be driving; I motioned him around me with my hand. He stayed put and just kept it up, getting more and more angry, so I motioned him for the second time. This time, he squealed his tires around me and onto the street ahead, I could hear him yelling to me, all the while I was sobbing and losing it to my husband. After that happened I just had to hang up the phone because I really did loose control and was shaking, the whole works.

This incident did really reaffirm something important to society as a whole; always treat people with respect. Who am I to judge why they are just sitting on the side of the road, or being a little grumpy, and so on? I have no idea what people are going through, just like that man did not have any idea (I hope any way) that I had just broke down for the first time.

I want to treat people the way I want to be treated.