I Believe In Sophia

Maggie - las cruces, New Mexico

I believe in Sophia .I look at everyone and how easily I put labels on them. Then I look at my mismatched group of friends. I love them all as much as I possibly could, but I find it impossible to put a label on us. And, this used to bother me horribly. In elementary school, I was defined by the labels my classmates pinned on me. And when I got to middle school and these labels disappeared, I had no idea who I was. Then I met Sophia. Sophia is my best friend and probably the most original person left on this sad little planet. Sophia taught me how to not care about other people and what they think about me. Sophia taught me how to dance in public with people I had never even seen before and not be embarrassed. She taught me how to live life outside of the box, and I love her for it. Over the summer, Sophia moved back to Canada, where her dad lives. I was so upset I couldn’t do anything but cry for a few days after she left. But her lessons stuck with me and let me make all on my wonderful, amazing friends. This July, Sophia is moving back. We have talked everyday since she left and I can not wait until she comes home. We have promised to not let each other out of our sight ever again .I believe in Sophia because I think she is as much a part of me as I am. Sophia is what “Best friends forever” actually means. And it isn’t just something to put on necklaces friends give on another for birthdays or Christmas. Best friends means telling the truth all the time, even though it doesn’t always make you feel good. It means helping the other person through any crap they are going through. It means always being there to help, even if you are in a different country.

Sophia and I send each other things, things no one else would care about. For example, for Christmas last year, I got a Canadian burrito wrapper. Last week, I sent her pressed flowers in a piece of newspaper. Its things like this that keep us together. We web chat and send each other little clips form a TV show we love, Flight of the Concords. It’s about these two dorky guys from New Zealand who are a two man novelty band and best friends and they burst into song occasionally. We know all the words from every one of their songs. I think we like them so much because we can sort of see our selves in them.

Sophia plays accordion and I play viola and cello. When she gets back, we are planning to create a small band. I’m not sure yet how this will work, but I think it will be lots of fun.

I believe in Sophia.