*Chocolate Chip Cookies*

Heather - Fremont, Michigan

“If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.” (C.S. Lewis)

Imagine walking into an unknown room. The first smells that waft to your nose are mom’s homemade chocolate chip cookies. Next comes the taste of the salty air from the beach on your tongue. This is followed by the feel of a soft breeze that one would feel sitting on a mountaintop. Your ears start to vibe with delicate droplets of rain as they hit the thirsty earth, making different notes as if they were playing their music just for you. Finally, your eyes are filled with the wonder of an everlasting sunset. If there were no meaning to life, then how should I have been able to imagine this at all? If life had no meaning, then how could one discern from what has meaning or what doesn’t have meaning. Just like, if we fall into water, we feel wet, because humans are not water creatures. We have the ability to distinguish wet from dry. A fish wouldn’t feel wet, because all they truly know is water. It is the same with the fact that you can’t call something unjust without having an understanding of what is just to begin with. I believe that life must have meaning; it doesn’t make any sense if it is empty.

The main reason why I believe that life must have meaning is because it gives me hope that we aren’t just here to wake up in the morning, go to work/school and then die and rot away in some coffin, six feet under the ground, munched on by worms and other creepy-crawlies. Life is too short. Life is like the cycle of a caterpillar: when we finally reach our butterfly state, we pass on, but the only reason life is too short is because death is too long. I have seen this in my nineteen years of life with the death of eleven people that have been close to me, including a friend of mine who died last Monday. Life is tricky in this way. One day, someone looks fine and healthy, the next day they are collapsing in their loved one’s arms, breathing their last breath. Sure, life to me is the smell of cookies, the sound of rain, etc., but it just can be taken away so fast, in the blink of an eye, and it doesn’t care what you or anyone else has to say about it. Life is really just a kid with a magnifying glass, burning the little ants as they scurry on by; the ants can’t do anything to stop that little brat from wreaking its havoc. So I ask you this: without finding some meaning in this life, how can we survive?