I Believe In Stevie Bear

yvette - las cruces, New Mexico

This I believe in my teddy bear. I received my teddy bear when I was about three-years-old. He’s the best bear that I have. The day before Christmas my dad came home with a HUGE teddy bear. He said that it was for one of mommy’s friend’s little girl. I was so hurt. How could he buy her a teddy bear and not me? He doesn’t even know that little girl. But I just had a big feeling that it was my teddy bear anyway. Then on that Christmas morning all of my family opened up our presents. I remembered the teddy bear, but he wasn’t in any of the presents! I was so bummed. I truly thought the teddy bear was going to be mine! Then my dad said, “Go get your teddy bear from my room!” I was ecstatic!

But at about noon that day the police arrived. I didn’t know though. My mom made my sisters go to the neighbors to play with our toys. I thought the cops were there just mistakenly, but I was wrong; they went there to take my dad away. When I came home at night, my dad wasn’t there anymore. I grabbed my teddy bear and cried all night. The next day I decided I would name my teddy bear Stevie Bear because it reminded me of my dad, Steven.

My dad finally came home months later. He was doing well and got married to a new lady. Every weekend I would go to his house and I take Stevie Bear. I brought him everywhere. Everything was good until that one night I came home. My grandma on my dad’s side called to talk to my mom. I wondered why my grandma would want to talk to my mom. She hates my mom, I think. My mom had to give me the bad news. I knew there was something wrong. I thought my dad went back to prison. After all, he has been in and out all of my life because the dumb mistakes he has made. I felt so guilty that I actually thought of that.

My mom finally told me what happened. At work earlier that day my dad fell off what was an almost finished house two stories high. I was scared. The next day my mom found out he would be paralyzed from the neck down. He can’t move his arms or his legs. My dad almost died that night. I just wanted him to hug me, but he couldn’t. This was the worst day of my life. The only thing I could do was cry on my Stevie Bear which still had the scent of my dad’s cologne. That made me cry even more.

So I believe in keeping the things that someone special gives to you. You never know what could happen. It might even be the last thing you have of them.