Happiness in Waiting

Breanne - Alma, Arkansas

For all my sixteen years, I have grown up listening to my father talk about no smokin’, drinkin’, druggin’, or sexin’. Even if I hadn’t grown up with that motto ingrained in my brain, those things would not cross my mind while making plans for a Friday night. I truly believe I can have a good time without compromising myself and my morals. I believe in abstinence.

When you are making plans on a Saturday night and hear about a big party somewhere in town with plenty of alcohol, what is your first reaction? Do you shy away from the thought of partying all night, or do you head over to the party as fast as you can? Maybe you believe that partying and everything that comes with it is what normal teenagers are supposed to do on the weekends. The truth is that many teenagers do just that. Yet, many teenagers don’t. For example, on a typical Saturday night, my group of friends have movie nights, Nerf gun wars, play hide and seek in the dark, make dinner with each other, or simply sit on top of the dam looking at the view of the city and talking. Yeah, we might sound like the biggest bunch of dorks, but we have so much fun doing that stuff together. And in the morning, we remember exactly what we did and are ready to do it all over again that night.

For over a year now, I have permanently worn a ring on the third finger of my left hand. No, I’m not engaged or married, and the ring isn’t even a promise ring, though in some ways I guess it serves the same purpose. The ring is my purity ring- it means I’m saving myself until marriage. I know not everyone can make such a big commitment and some people don’t choose to. However, I think one of the coolest things is to look over at the person next to me, whether it’s at church, the lunch table, or in biology class, and see their purity ring proudly worn for all to see.

For me, I have enough of life’s problems on my plate to worry about remembering what I did the previous night and if the consequences of my actions are going to leave a lasting impression on my life, and perhaps not in a good way. Some of my friends don’t take my dad’s advice, and we get along just fine. I know where they stand and they know where I stand, and we have no problem with each other. I don’t necessarily agree with what they are doing, however, who am I to judge what they do? Personally, I can’t find happiness in those situations, so I will continue to model my life after my belief in abstinence.