God May Be Testing You

Kristen - Alma, Arkansas

Why do bad things happen to good people? I thought a while about this question. I went through a situation that made me ask the question over and over again. Finally, I found that my beliefs helped me come up with an answer to this question.

My parents have always been great people. They loved each other, and they raised my brother and I as a team effort. They deserved nothing but the best. However, these good people got the worst. My parents started fighting and ignoring each other. Everything they said led to an argument. They were at the point of a divorce. I would have never guessed that this would happen to my parents. I thought that they were so in love, and that nothing could destroy their relationship. On top of everything, I felt like I was alone hearing all of the hollering because my brother stayed clear of the house.

I was tired of the yelling, and sick of staying in my room listening to all of the fighting as I did my homework. My eyes traveled from my book to the ceiling, and my mind was totally off of my homework. I started thinking about why bad things happen to good people. I knew God had something to do with it, but I didn’t know why he would make bad things happen to people who don’t deserve it. I asked myself many questions. Why is this happening to my parents? When will it stop? What can I do?

Instead of waiting for matters to get worse, I did something about my family problems. I prayed to God for him to save my parents relationship, and I had others pray for them also. To me the only way for my parents relationship to work out was to have faith. It worked because a few weeks later after they said that they might get a divorce everything got a lot better.

Even though the problem was solved, I still didn’t have an answer to my big question. Why do bad things happen to good people? I thought about it, and now I know that God tests your faith. I believe that God tests people in order for them to prove themselves to him.