Communication is Key, But Silence is Golden

Courtney - Alma, Arkansas

Just the other night I was on my Itunes account, searching for new songs to download, when I came across Itunes’ song of the day, “Silence.” The song was exactly what it says, silent; four minutes and twelve seconds of nothing but pure silence.

Well, it got me thinking. Teenagers today have so many tools and resources for communicating that we are always in contact with someone. Though people say, “Communication is key,” I believe too much communication can have the opposite effect.

Often times we are so engaged in communication with others, we do not allow enough quiet time for ourselves. We lie in bed and text until we fall asleep, and when morning breaks, we touch our phones before we touch our alarm clocks. Texting is our addiction. Texting has taken over our lives.

TV show and movies from our parents’ generation, displayed girls writing in diaries and sitting on their beds daydreaming. Nowadays it seems almost ridiculous to share your feelings on a piece of paper, and the only time we daydream is during Biology class.

Just a few months ago I, too, had become a cell phone addict. The bill had become thicker and thicker due to the many text messages. Well, not only had the bill gotten thicker, but the pile of laundry I had yet to fold and put way had gotten thicker, too. Also, my attitude had become increasingly rude, and according to my mother, I had become “very sassy.” So, my mother did the unspeakable- she cut me off from my distractions! She took away my cell phone and my computer. At first, I thought that this was the worst thing that could happen to a teenager, and she might as well have locked me inside a dark closet. However, as the week progressed I noticed that my life seemed more peaceful, the pile of laundry diminished because I had time to put the clothes away, my grades at school were improving, and most importantly, I did not fight with my parents.

Originally, my motives were to do the chores so I could get my phone back, but through this punishment, I realized that my life had changed for the better. I realized the feeling of peace I had lost due to technology had finally come back, and I liked that peace. I realized that I would rather have that feeling, over the feeling of knowing what each one of my friends is doing every second of the day.

I believe that if teenagers would put their phone down for twenty minutes of the day and talk to their family, help around the house, or just sit down and think, our lives would not be nearly as stressful and chaotic. Some may argue this belief and think that it is crazy and absurd, but my response to them is simply, “Yes, communication is key, but silence is golden.” This, I believe.