Technically Love

Stephen - Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania
Themes: love

I believe that chivalry has almost completely died off of the face of the earth. Or, at least in America. Good manners and caring relationships seem to only come by sparingly. Love is something that can mostly be found in entertainment, and not so much in the household.

Recently, I witnessed a couple arguing, cursing, and spewing out hateful words to one another. This couple consisted of two teenagers in high school. The male teen had apparently shown up late to pick up his counterpart, and this did not have a positive end result. In fact, the end result was the female storming out, yelling profanities over her shoulder. What brought us to this point? Why have we reached such a low to lose respect for the people we should be giving our hearts to?

As a society, we would rather respect such things as technology. Things such as Facebook, MySpace, cell phone texting, iPods, and so on, are just drowning out the hopeful voices of the world. The pacifier that we call the “internet” has taken away from the natural beauties that we take for granted every day. What is truly measurable as the “finer things in life?” Are Blackberry’s and iPhones truly more amazing than a babbling brook or a great willow tree? The priorities over the past fifty years have obviously changed, from spending time searching for a soul mate via the dating process, to looking for a “hook-up” to pass the time.

Even a simple holding of the door has almost stopped. Self-absorbed citizens of America are literally shutting the doors on the faces of their fellow man and woman. I was factually right behind a man in the store, and it appeared that he had intentionally closed the door right on my face, thinking less about the world around him and more of what his greedy desires are. The simple romantic things like this, and like taking a girl out for a walk in a park, are a dying cause. The vicious transition from true love to vain lust is almost complete. Yet, we, as a people, can stop from showing this werewolf the full moon.

The voice for compassion must be raised to be heard over the mixed messages given by entertainment. Well-established producers and writers of movies and television need to take a step towards bettering the spiraling community. Right now, the moral being taught to the youth is that the ultimate goal of any relationship is intercourse. The values of compassion and respect need a reintroduction to the screen. If the world wants to transition to a digital phase, then input the romantic data. Focus less on the binary code, and more on a binding code. We can let love back in. This I believe.