Sharing is Caring

Denise - Wilmington, Delaware

How can it be so that life is fair when last night I slept in a comfortable bed with a roof over my head, and millions of people slept outside? Or when I get the choice of breakfast over those who are not promised three meals a day, or two or even one?

There is no fairness for those born into poverty, living in cities that are poor and dangerous. Nor for the individuals who cannot afford anything better, so they live and work in a city where they can only afford to be poor. Now how can life be fair when poor families have to rummage through trash for clothing?

Life is not fair because people in the upper class, and even the middle class hold on so tightly to what they have because they worked so hard for it. However, they do not realize that the individuals in poverty, the lower class and the lower middle class are working just as hard as they are, maybe even harder. Yet, because we live in a world filled with inequalities, their hard work can only bring them so far. So how can life be fair when one man’s pride is stunting another man’s chance of success?

Life is not fair for them, nor was it fair for me. For weeks, my brother and I ate the same meal for dinner because it was cheap. A pack of hot dogs and bread at the time cost 50 cents and that was our meal. My mother, a single parent, worked two jobs and barely made enough money to pay the monthly rent in a rundown neighborhood, utilities and go groceries shopping. Sometimes she had to make the decision between paying rent and filling the refrigerator with food. My mother worked very hard to support my brother and me. So I ask, how can this life be fair when a mother struggles to provide a stable home for her children and three meals a day?

The answer to such thought inspiring questions is simple, we need to mentally go back to kindergarten and relearn how to share. In kindergarten, I learned that sharing is caring. Yes, it is an outdated cliché, but I believe that it is truth and needs to become stylish again. Just imagine the good we could do if we donated to homeless shelters and programs for low-income families, took the food that just sits at homes to soup kitchens or even share our time. We probably could not end the unfairness, but we could help the individuals experiencing the unfairness grab onto a piece of hope. Someone shared with me through scholarship money, and I share my resources with others. Therefore, I believe that sharing has a great affect.

The life we live in will always be unfair, but if we cared for those suffering around us by sharing our resources then maybe the outcome of the unfairness would not be so bad; this I truly believe.