I Believe In My Best Friend

Bethany - Abington

I believe in my best friend. As I walked onto the lawn, the summer heat prickled my skin. Two eyes of jade and a smile of pearls bounded over to greet me. I smiled back and the rest is history.

That first night when Adriel and I met, my dad gave her brother a trumpet lesson. While he taught Jordan, I played with Adriel and her younger sister, Julianna. Suddenly, they took off into the backyard; I sprinted after them. The grass squished beneath my feet as my breath caught up to me. They were flying on a white swing set, pumping their legs as fast as they could. I fumbled in the pitch black to find a swing. Just as soon as I sat down, I almost fell off. The swing set was up in the air. Clunk; it hit on the ground. I screamed in horror, while Adriel and Julianna laughed hysterically. The deafening laughter soon turned into shrieking. I remember thinking “These girls are out of control.”

Since then, Adriel has calmed down, but not much. I love her uncontrollable laugh and her infectious smile. Just like she adopted me when we first met, I love how she will befriend anyone. Confident, but not arrogant, silly and deep, carefree yet caring, she finds a balance in all she does. Our conversations vary starkly, from deep questions about God and life, to chatting about this boy and that frustrating parent. Sometimes I’m convinced that we can solve all the world’s problems. Other times I’m convinced we cannot handle our own. But I know that together we’ll make it through.

Some of my favorite memories have been the ordinary times we’ve spent together. We often blast the radio in her car and dance wildly. My scream reminds her to put her hands back on the wheel. We laugh about everything and about nothing. When we talk about the serious things, I am often inspired by the coexistence of her insightful perspective and humble attitude. She often puts me to shame. I wrote a little poem about her; I hope it isn’t lame.

We’ve been through it all over the years, amazing and devastating, joys and fears. She listens when I worry, and her shoulder soaks up my tears. I love the way she giggles at everything I say. I love the way she’s always there. She wears a smile so contagious, full of life and full of care. A glow always follows her in every room she goes. She certainly inspires me; she makes me write in prose. Not satisfied with good enough, she strives for even better. A lovely voice and artistic hand, fast legs and a curious mind; more talent is hard to find. No one knows me better, and I love her so much. There are few areas in my life that she hasn’t touched. To summarize before I leave; I have the best friend. This I believe.