In the Eyes of a Believer

Natasha - Ivyland, Pennsylvania

I still remember my aunt telling me frequently when I was younger never to give up. I can still imagine her sympathetic eyes looking directly at me as tears strolled down my face. Although as a young girl, I never liked taking chances, I could never understand why she kept telling me this. Even though this was an inspiring claim, I did not comprehend that it went beyond this concept of compassion. The words “I can” were the key to my success; it was the triumph that I have always desired and longed for. This is why I believe achievement is feasible in the eyes of a believer.

I believe that achievement is possible in the eyes of a strong-willed person because I have witnessed this for myself. I have hit some bumps in the road, and anyone who has known me for a while would agree with this. I never could grasp why certain events had to happen to me. I never understood why I did not grow up having parents and had to raise myself, why my mother was a schizophrenic, and why the people who I loved in my life had to vanish. Life is not always fair, and this I know. As my life continued down the valley of the unknown, my troubles and emotions kept rising like a pyramid reaching up to the heavens, in which case, I usually chose to give up. It was not until I matured that I realized the possibilities I have been offered in life—the wisdom that I had obtained internally like fire burning in my veins. I began to realize that the best things in life were not for free. Everything I so desired in life I had to work for; I had to start from the bottom of the mountain and climb to the top. It was not easy to remain stable during this journey called life, but it is possible to succeed with faith.

I believe it is the very existence of faith that gives an individual the willpower to continue onward. So one may ask, what is faith? Faith is not tangible, faith is a concept. It is when one believes in something so strongly that nothing else matters, not even logic. Faith allows a person’s worries and doubts to evaporate like rain drumming on the hot summer ground. I believe that it is faith that allows a person to grow. This I believe when I look back at how my life used to be—how I would have to make decisions and did not have anyone to guide me in the right direction. It was if I stopped at a fork in the road and looked down two different paths. One path was good choices, and the other path was not. It was faith within me that lighted up my world; it was the light illuminating from my world that caused my accomplishments.

When I look back at my life, and how it used to be, I do not frown; I do not cry. Instead, I smile with happiness gleaming from my grin because I know the journey I traveled to succeed was worth the tears that I endured. Because I had a positive outlook on life, I was successful. I will forever remember the pain I had to bear. I will not run from the problems in life; rather, I will face every issue with victory. It is the belief and faith internally that has caused me to face every obstacle life with courage and thrive. This I believe.