Self control

David - Spanish Fork, Utah

I believe in self control. When I was 13 years old I became an addict. Judging by my outward appearance, and my family, a person wouldn’t be able to tell that I had a problem, but inside I was struggling. I was lacking the self control I needed to stop, that same lack of self control was what got me into it in the first place. The hardest part of the addiction was that I was completely alone in the shame, guilt, and excruciating pain that I felt for my behavior. This behavior continued for without any major effort on my part to stop it. I often wished I could do something about it; in fact, there were only small periods of time when I didn’t wish I could stop. I couldn’t fight this battle on my own, what I really needed was someone else.

Self control is not easily learned, it takes a lot of time and perseverance to attain. I don’t believe that anyone can ever have complete mastery over their thoughts and actions, even with a lifetime of practice, but I do believe that we can always be improving our self control. I believe that self control can only come if one really seeks it out, and truly wants it. There are so many destructive in the world today, so self control is something I think everyone is striving for. I know that everyone has habits that they wish they could stop, and some may be more destructive than others.

Habits become extremely hard to break after years of being formed. I can’t even imagine what a lifetime smoker must to go through when they attempt to quit. At the age of 17, with the help of parents and religious leaders, I was able to slowly unlearn what I had been doing for years. I emphasize the word slowly, because there are no quick fixes for changing behavior. With anything, the only way to get better is practice, and practice takes time.

Everybody is the same in that we all do things that we don’t want to do. Because of this, we all seek ways to change our behavior. Practicing self control is one of the most rewarding things that we can do, because when we do, we know we have mastered our own self. I believe that our purpose here on earth is to continually practice self control and live right. This is why I believe in self control.