I Believe In the Theory of Equality

Richard - Gilbert, Arizona
Themes: equality, love

I Believe In the Theory of Equality

In so many ways and on so many levels we are an advanced forward thinking country. We are free to question authority, voice our opinions and worship any god or none at all. How is it that such a progressive and world leading country consumes itself with preventing marriages? When I proposed to my wife I didn’t have to consider whether the government would approve of my marriage. I focused on more important thins like where would I propose, and how much should I spend on the diamond. Nobody was concerned that my marriage would undermine the sanctity of their marriage. How could it? Mine is a marriage between a man and a woman.

How does my neighbor’s marriage have any impact on my own? He could be a drunk that cheats on his wife. That in no way reflects on the sanctity of my marriage. Why are we so obsessed with preventing marriage? How is it that a marriage between two people that happen to have the same genitalia demeans or devalues my marriage? We dedicate huge resources to preventing this. We support freedoms and inalienable rights that afford our citizens opportunities that we take for granted and we support the right to take them for granted, but we are consumed with “protecting” marriage. What are we protecting it from? If we believe in equality how could we think that only the combination of “one man and one woman” is the formula for sanctity of marriage? Is there some sort of cosmic aura created by a homosexual marriage that permeates into heterosexual marriages devaluing them like AIG stock?

The sanctity of my marriage is determined only by my wife and me. If the sanctity of my marriage were determined by other marriages and I have a choice between a drunk couple who crap out at the casino and decide to get married on a whim, or a couple who have had to fight against oppression and bigotry to achieve the rights that should have already been afforded them…I believe in the sanctity of the latter.