Rainy Day

Denia - Groton, Massachusetts

We all live our life at a prestigious New England boarding school, fully equipped with lush acres of open land, a river right on campus, a gorgeous (always freshly mowed) circle at the center- all surrounded with trees and spacious playing fields. We all wake up at various times, but find ourselves in chapel by eight o’clock. Then we somehow manage to make our way through the school day only to find our selves rushing to sports, then dinner. After which time the sun has without fail dipped down into the mountains, leaving us wondering where the day went. And as each day blends into the next, it leaves us wondering where our time at this school is going. We have all this space and yet we find ourselves confined to tight schedules and schoolwork, and stuck inside, especially on rainy days. Why is it that on rainy stormy days, people always seem to be in a hurry? Speaking from personal experience, it is much more rewarding to walk in the rain and sit outside to take it in. It was Friday, the weather was chilly and over cast, and we were just getting out of sports when all of a sudden we hear a huge crack of thunder and down pours the rain. There is a sudden screech and many of the girls I was leaving with decided to run. Clever? I think not, because they were rushing to get out of the rain one of the girls slipped and got mud all over herself. I continued to walk, and slowly made my way back to the dorm in the pouring rain. I went to change into dry clothes and heard people grumbling about the rain. I decided to grab a can of soda and sit outside under the walkway of our dorm house. Later I was joined by a couple of my friends and we spent the rest of the evening chatting and singing songs. We also talked to the people that walked in and out, and laughed at the people that weren’t, like us, enjoying themselves in the rain. See the people hurry by and cover their heads while we were sitting there contently made me realize how ridiculous it is to hurry through the things you can’t control. Twenty years from now I won’t remember every test I ever took and every grade I ever got, because at the end of time those things won’t matter. Chances are I will remember the thunderstorm I spent with my friends enjoying the world around me, because I stopped worrying about the insignificant problems in my life and looked at the world and I enjoyed the wonder of it. We shouldn’t rush all the time, every once and again its important to stop and take in everything around you. This is what I believe.