Ryan - Pottstown, Pennsylvania

The Greatest Nation in the World

One can’t help but notice the excitement throughout the country about our new [president-elect, now our] president, Barack Obama. Many people believe that he could be the savior that this country so desperately needs. I, too, have high hopes for him, but regardless of whether or not he is successful as president, I will not worry about the fate of this country. Just as America has done before, I believe America will be able to get out of the recession that we are in, regardless of who is in charge.

Although things may seem bad now, America has seen much worse. When the country was split into two opposing sides during the Civil War, things looked bad. Before that, we fought for our freedom and independence from a power-hungry king of Britain. This country has seen times of war and sacrifice, unemployment, poverty, and great declines in the economy. Despite all of these great hardships, America has been able to fight through them and keep her title as the best nation in the world.

Some say that without great leaders like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, our country would have never turned out to be what it is today. I do not believe this is totally true. Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that these men were great leaders and truly are American heroes, but they were not the only reason for our success.

I believe the true reason for our success is because of the citizens of America. These people are, and always have been, resilient. They know what America stands for, and they demonstrate the qualities of people who live in such a great nation. They always have held onto their integrity and morals, and because of this attitude, they refuse to fail.

As I walk around campus, I see a large diversity of men and women of various races and cultures. Forty years ago, women and minorities were fighting just to be treated fairly. The fact that we have come so far as a nation to give everyone equal rights is amazing. These groundbreaking achievements are a result of the will of the American people. They saw a problem and stayed persistent until it was solved.

I am lucky enough to live in a time when we have our first black president. I have witnessed the progress that America as a whole has made. Barrack Obama is one man who has his work cut out for him. There are many relationships to be rebuilt and many problems to solve. Yes, our country may be going through some hard times now, but we have seen far worse in our history. Just as we have done before, I believe America can overcome any problem that we have, and because of this, we will forever hold the title of the greatest nation in the world.