Giving Of Yourself

Justin - Park City, Utah

When I reflect on the things I believe many things come to my mind. There is what I believe religiously, what I believe ethically, and just what I think is important. People around the world have material things or they have very little and it varies. Sometimes they only have the clothes on their back. I was raised by a family that was well off and we never had to really worry about money issues or things like that. But what I believe is even when we have a lot is that we should give as much as we can away of ourselves and possessions to help those that are not as well off. I have been a Boy Scout since I was 12 and an Eagle Scout since I was 17 and what that program has done for me is priceless. I have learned that we must always serve those around us even when we feel we don’t need to. Maybe we feel we have something else important to do but in reality we should really help others as much as we can; even if there is no reward for doing so.

The project that I did for my Eagle Scout project taught me how to give to others. It all started with a thought of how I could serve others. I came up with a few ideas, and then I settled on the idea of collecting food for the Utah food bank. This was a very interesting and challenging experience. The requirements for this project were high as I had to collect 700 pounds of food. It was a very high expectation, but through some service and leadership I was able to collect enough food to meet this requirement. This though was not what taught me the belief of mine of the importance of giving to others and service. Neither was the event of helping remove labels from food to put on easier to read labels. It was when we had to hand deliver boxes/bags of food to those who needed it.

We delivered this food to many different people who were in different situations. Whether it was they had no money to buy food or they were elderly and had no support we still delivered this food to them. They all really appreciated getting this food. For me just seeing how they responded really was just as good as any form of reward. For me if I had just dropped the food off and did some little things at the food bank that would have been nice, but actually meeting the people who take it really instilled a belief that this should be done more and more often by people. Especially in the hard economic times were in now food banks all over the place are always in a huge need of food. Giving of our own time and possessions is what I believe.