Loyalty and Love

Emily - Garden City, Idaho

Few know what they have while they have it. I believe in three soft principles; courage, loyalty, and love. When you find someone that gives you each, I’d say it’s time to put them to the test. There’s this good friend of mine, Rebecca, and she’s one of the finest ladies to see in your life time. Yes, this entire paper is about my woman friend, a woman who taught me what “true love” is, and she doesn’t know she’s doing it.

Rebecca and I have been friends for years, and we’ve been through tormented hungry ghosts to short summers of ecstasy. We’ve never had a single argument. It’s when devils come and poke at us with their greed-covered claws (drama queens) that we’ve had to consolidate, for protection, and get through some situations together. I must admit though, some times we deserve it. The most horrifying experience that I can admit to is the last time she was at my mother’s house, four years ago. We got into some light trouble. Coming down to it, the single most loved that I’ve ever felt was when she came to me, even though she would never be allowed over again. What happened was after we were caught doing something, my mother screeched at both of us separately for hours, and she told us we had to stay in separate rooms, but Rebecca came in with a high tail and saw me lying in a corner of my living room couch, bawling with stinging eyes. Right in front of my mother she came and laid down with me, and started bawling as well. And she really has never been allowed at my mother’s house again, even after four forgiving years. At that one moment though, when we were both sad and small, she came to comfort me. It doesn’t sound like a big deal, but after three hours of an aggressive and intimidating woman yelling at you, making you feel as small as a pea, a little comfort can rid any loneliness or fear. This one story lets me know that even though she couldnt define the words for me, always in our lifetimes, she will give me a strong and loyal love, even when it’s not convenient for her.

Rebecca and I have spent twenty four/ seven summers together, adventuring and lying around. Always waking up together and making steaming hot coffee, eggs, pancakes, coffee cake, and bacon, what ever we felt, in the late droopy mornings. It’s our time of the day to relax. The afternoons at the chilly blue lake, evenings downtown venturing through the streets trying to get lost in the sun. By night, we’re with all the other friends, perhaps in a coffee house or looking for a nice place to pull all-nighters. We’re always with each other. We’ve made plans to spend out lives together, grow old and fat together, and love every moment of it. We want to raise our children together [not as a couple but as auntie Em and Auntie Sue (her nickname)]. We know that we have a true love together, and we savor it. Rebecca and I will always be there, which after all, is the only thing someone needs from another, and we have it.