Laughing the Ultimate Medicine

cory - chadds ford, Pennsylvania

I believe in laughing

At one particular point in everyone’s Life there is some type of pain; a self inflicted injury or the loss of a loved one can be difficult to cope with. In these times maybe look for some kind of humor in the situation. I feel laughter or amusement of any kind is the best medicine for pain caused by anything, so if the pain is physical or emotional, I believe laughter makes life’s little stumbles better.

Just a few weeks ago, I found humor in an injury received when I was head butted by a lamb. First of all, I work in a barn in Kennet Square; I take care of both beef and sheep. On this particular day I was working on giving the lamb a shot in a small space with about 29 other clueless sheep. It was about the second or third lamb I had injected with the medicine. I had my partner Charlie grab her and prepare her for the inoculation. So first we cleaned up the injection site with a paper towel with rubbing alcohol on it. Once we had completed this step we took the needle and injected the medication subcutaneously, meaning under the skin. Once this was done I gave Charlie the needle to prepare it for another lamb, while he was doing this I was moving the lamb to other pen; in the process I picked her up and all of a sudden WAM! I received a parting present from the lamb in the form a head butt. Now it may not seem like much to you now, but, the lamb was about sixty pounds and threw all its weight into throwing its head backwards. This caught me right in the jaw knocking me backwards into a fence. Charlie and another helper looked at me doubled over holding my face, trying not to laugh and asked, “Are you ok?” Standing straight up, they notice that I am laughing at the whole situation. “I am fine, just little loopy.” I replied laughing. The pain of the lamb striking me in the jaw was subdued by the fact that the laughter was enhancing my pain tolerance and allowed me to just stand back up and hop back into work, finishing the rest of the lambs that had to be done. All while still chuckling about the whole incident. If I had not been laughing about it I probably would have situated myself on a chair until I felt ready to work again.

In times of pain like this, people should be able to turn to something that can get rid of the pain. Laughter is one way that everyone can be content and not have to worry about stopping the aches and pains. The pain is taken away by the intoxicating laughing or funniness of a situation. This is what I believe.