If you tell the truth you dont have to remember what you said

Tammy - 85635, Arizona

Excitement and the rush of other feelings I’ve never felt before rushed threw me like a flash flood barreling threw my vanes. Thoughts of how I would finally be like the other kids, “popular”. Boy was I wrong; because stealing was harder than I thought and lying about it was even harder. But I thought I would make it through the day; again I was wrong. I got caught with the missing cell phone…

There I was sitting in second hour choir. Mrs. Stigers has given us free time that day. One thing I absolutely hated about that class was how I was always alone, never had any friends. Every one else had their own little cliques to talk and gossip with. But there I was sitting in the corner minding my own business. Then something on the counter caught my eye, a cell phone. The exact one I wanted eve since my best friend Kayla got hers. So many thoughts ran through my mind,

‘Who would just leave something like this here?’

‘If I take it no one will know, I can tell them it’s mine’

‘I could get caught…but why would I? No one will ever see or know’

As time finally dwindled by, and there was only five minuets left of calls, I made my final decision, I was going to take it. So I stood up grabbed the hone and stuffed it in my pocket, grabbed my backpack and stood by the door impatiently waiting for the bell to ring. To my relief it finally did. I flew out of the door like there was no tomorrow. I raced to the cafeteria bathroom and locked the door. I ripped off the phone cover and threw it in the garbage. I went through the phones photos, texts and contacts and deleted them all. I even changed the back ground. The next thing I did was find Kayla and show her my new prized possession. Of course she believed me, and was very excited that we could finally text all hours of the day. The phone was finally mine, or so I thought.

By the time sixth hour came I was totally relaxed and calm. Kayla and I sat in front of our computers talking about boys and the normal girl stuff. Then I got a text message, I pulled the phone out of my pocket and the next thing I knew Mr. K was tapping me on the shoulder asking for my phone. And not to my surprise, Sean, the on guy in the class who didn’t like Kayla or I, was standing right next to Mr. K laughing. He had told on me. My heart started to pound. It felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest. Kayla and I begged him to give me back the phone, but it didn’t work.

The next day, not even thirty minuets into first hour I was called down to the office. Once again I felt like I was going to throw up as I went and sat down in Mr. Spriggs office. I tried my best to stay cool, calm and collected as my mind raced to find an excuse as to why I was caught with the phone. The best thing that came to mind was, ‘I found it’. But that didn’t work. I got sent to in-house while the cops and my parents were called. When the police got there I was brought back to the office and talked to several different people. And I tried my best to keep my story straight every time I told it, but I could tell that I was not doing a very good job at that. I was either leaving something out, or adding new stuff in, or couldn’t even answer a question the person before them asked me. By the end of the day I was arrested and put on house arrest, except for going to school the rest of the week.

Every day that week I was questioned and so were my friends. And everyday there were more and more lies and I couldn’t keep them straight anymore. I broke down in tears and told them the truth, about how I saw it and wanted the phone so bad and how I wanted to be like everyone else.

My dad ended up paying two hundred dollars for canceling the phone and other charges. I ended up spending the rest of the semester in in-house for second hour; and on house arrest and having a probation officer for the rest of the year. After all the trouble I caused my family, and the hurt I caused someone else I’ve learned that if you tell the truth you don’t have to remember what you said…this I believe.