Change is Growth

Bianca - Phila, Pennsylvania
Themes: change

Change is Growth

As I stare at the graffiti and dried up gum on William Penn High school walls I realized the unfortunate change that had occurred right before my eyes. I was put in a place unfamiliar and different than what I was already adapted to. To me, I was no longer in a safe environment and I was placed in a shell that I could not come out of. My family couldn’t afford eight thousand a year for an all girl’s Catholic high school, so I was sent to my neighborhood public high school. The fear that suddenly took over me and my body was like the fear that I felt when I first learned how to ride my bike. Unsteady, unbalanced and trembling. Meeting new friends, not being able to see my old ones, and getting to know my way around a school twice as big as my old one, was all new to me. However, I had to realize that change is not scary, it’s just growth, and this is what I believe in.

Moreover, no matter what change may come into your life whether it’s positive or negative, voluntarily or involuntarily, necessary or unnecessary, all in all, it helps you grow and obtain knowledge that may have never been sought out or thought of beforehand. Looking around my new classroom I realized that the people there were no different from where I had come from. Their skin colors, their shapes and sizes, and their purpose of being there to learn were all the same. Once I had figured that out, the change that was made was not scary. In an instant, I had gained an understanding and a wisdom that was innovative and new. The fear of change that I had once felt was erased. I understood now that when change occurs it should not be fear, like many people encounter, but it should be seen as development as well as a learning experience.

Consequently, no matter what story is told, or what your story may have been, it is all change and change is growth. My time at William Penn High school not only opened my eyes to the culture of different people, but also not to judge a school by its walls. In addition, coming to this high school help me to realize how necessary it is to not be scared of change but to embrace it.