The First Amendment

Benjamin - Milliken, Colorado
Themes: freedom, respect

The First Amendment

I believe in the First Amendment being followed and respected each day. The reason I believe in the First Amendment is that everyone should be respected in their religion, culture and freedom to speak of what you value. Everyone deserves respect, whether they are homeless, a billion dollar CEO, or they view the world differently.

People I go to school with say Islam and Muslim religions are bad religions just because some people are involved in the Iraq War. That is why the First Amendment is dying. It is dying because we can’t even take the time to respect people. If you dislike someone, still be courteous. In my elementary school we had a rule a lot like the First Amendment. It was the Golden Rule: Treat other people in the way you would like to be treated everyday. And, in elementary school, I tried to do that most, if not all of the time, in school and out. When you are in elementary school you are pretty nice, and in middle school you become less nice. Perhaps middle school students have forgotten the Golden Rule, and if they remembered it, there would be more respect for people.

Respect should also be given to people of different religions. You may not agree with certain religious beliefs, but understand others have the right to practice different beliefs. Disrespecting another religion can be religious discrimination.

The First Amendment also talks about the right to free speech. Individual and groups may want to voice their opinions or values. Sometimes this is as a protest or demonstration. Again, we may not agree with their views, but we must understand they have the right to speak, voice different views. Talk shows, newspapers, web sites, political debates, and other ways of communicating ideas all look to the First Amendment. We can all learn and benefit from new ideas, and the First Amendment helps make that possible.

If the people of the United States and the world could respect each other, no matter the conditions, think how many problems could be solved. Wars could end, innocent people hurt less, and this could be a place everyone could live in with just a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T. A little respect will go farther than you might think. From respecting what your friend says, to helping in different church group, or helping in your community, the First Amendment helps make that possible.