Dave - Lake Zurich, Illinois

My buddies and I are driving back from a baseball game, late at night. We had been drinking all day, even though none of us were 21. We were speeding to get some food before the restaurants all closed. All of a sudden, we see flashing blue and red lights. Our hearts stop for a second. We are getting pulled over. We all know we’re not going to blow a 0.0 on a breathalyzer. Sure enough, the cops pull us over and smell the beer on our breaths from earlier in the day. They give us all breathalyzers, and we all blow 0.01’s. If we were all 21, we would have been perfectly fine. However, the cops had every right to arrest us because of an insane drinking age law.

I believe in a lower drinking age. This is not because I’m under 21 years old. I just think that it is absurd that almost everything is now legal to us, including owning a business, flying an airplane, voting, hunting, being imprisoned, being executed, and even performing in pornography, when we turn 18, but we can’t even sip on a beer. Ridiculous.

A reason I think this law is in place is that older people don’t care about us young people. A prime example is the Federal Government. They make up laws that they think are right and that young people don’t get a say in. They don’t care what we have to say. They just go on living their lives and controlling ours how they want to.

One of the best weeks of my life was when I visited Germany when I was younger than 21. While I was over there I drank alcohol with all different ages of people. They have a lower drinking age than America. I was shocked to see they weren’t abusing it! There were teenagers drinking, but they weren’t drinking trying to get absolutely hammered. Europeans have two viewpoints on alcohol: Either abstain from it, or drink it in moderation. However, It is unacceptable for anyone of any age to abuse alcohol.

I guess the ridiculously high drinking age in America isn’t a total bad thing. I buy booze for a lot of underage kids. A lot. 20, 19, even 18 year olds. And they give me some pretty nice tips. Not having those tips would be the only reason I would argue to keep the drinking age as high as it is.

So that is my way of lowering the drinking age, because I know the government won’t change it. I guess you could call me a vigilante.