Finding Success in Silliness

Patricia - Romulus, Michigan

When most people think of the word success, they think of becoming president, hard work, getting an A in a class, or even achieving a goal. Those are different things that people think of when the word success comes to mind, but that is the most common view on success. When I think of the word success, I think of having fun and just being myself. That is why I believe that enjoyment, laughter, and silliness can always lead up to success in the future.

My definition of silliness is very different compared to what most people think it means. My definition of silliness is having fun, always making the best out of a bad situation, loosening up, and being focused while having an outgoing and bubbly personality. Being silly isn’t about being foolish or unwise. Silliness is all about being happy while succeeding in future goals in life.

When I was growing up, my parents always said to just be myself and I will achieve my future goals in life. My family is just as silly and outgoing as I am, so I always felt that being silly and making the best out of a bad situation would always direct me into my future. I would always make jokes and even create silly songs out of my school material just so I can remember the material for tests and quizzes. That helped me pass all of my tests and quizzes. By me growing up enjoying life, being silly, and being myself made me wonder if success and happiness could really come into my life without me becoming a person who is very serious and end up resenting my life.

After realizing that I can be silly and still become successful, I started to use that strategy frequently. When I was in the 5th grade, I was a great clarinet player in the band, but I always had trouble being humorless. The more I tried to be a serious instrumentalist, the more I found myself making many mistakes while playing the sheet music. When I noticed how hideous I sounded while I was playing when I tried to be serious, I started to make silly impressions of my favorite cartoon characters like Goofy, Donald Duck, and Ren & Stimpy. I noticed that when I was acting silly and having fun while playing the music I did much better. After using that tactic, I never was serious when it came to playing my sheet music and ended up becoming first chair in the clarinet section and earning a music award for excellent performance.

Many people always judged my method of reaching success. People told me that by being silly, I would never earn good grades in school or become successful in life (little did they know that I was already earning excellent grades in school). When I constantly heard comments like that from my peers, I started to believe it. I even tried to be very serious with my school work and studied the normal way instead of using fun and helpful strategies. I then found myself unhappy and receiving atrocious grades, so I continued the method that worked for me—being a silly and outgoing person who always had success coming my way because of my silliness.

Even though I am much older now, I still continue to be my silly and outgoing self to fulfill my future goals in life. Being able to gain success in my life and to have fun doing it makes me feel like I have already succeeded in completing some of my goals. Even though I’ve lost the silliness in me once before, I will never forget that I can always find future success in my silliness.