Scott - Richmond, Virginia

I believe in kidney donation. My fiancé, Allison, and I are to be married in September of 2009. This would not be possible without the selfless gift of her parents.

Allison and I met on New Year’s Day of 2007. She told me she had kidney disease and received a kidney from her father in 2000. She told me that it could someday fail and she would have to go back on Dialysis. I accepted that fate and our love grew.

One day at work during March of 2008, I received a phone call from Allison. She was very upset and told me that she had to go back on Dialysis. I rushed over to the hospital to be at her side.

Her mother got tested to see if she was a compatible donor and she matched 4 out of the 6 requirements. Although not a perfect match, it was enough and the date was set for the surgery.

Her father and I waited in the lobby of the hospital while the women of our hearts went under the knife. I brought a book to pass the time and to keep away any negative thoughts. Her surgeon was the same as before and was one of the best in the state. Before I knew it, I was shaking those magical hands because the surgeon came down and told us it was a perfect success.

The next few months were spent in uncomfortable hospital chairs and beds. I stayed ever night I was able, in order to comfort her though the recovery. Though the ups and downs, the stay at the hospital was over and life was set to continue. It took the better part of six months, but she is finally back to living her normal life.

I know the kidney from her mother will not last forever and I have decided when the time comes, I’ll donate my kidney to her. I run the risk of not being a match; even if I am not a match, Virginia has a Proxy Donation available. With Proxy Donation, you may donate your kidney to another recipient who is a match, and your friend or loved one will go to the top of the waiting list. I am very grateful this service is available and I ask anyone reading this, to give the gift of life to anyone you know who suffers from this terrible disease.