We are all connected

Jessica - Chickaloon, Alaska

I believe that everyone is connected. Many of my life’s experiences have supported this life belief. While growing up, my family went through many struggles with my grandparent’s adoption of me including issues with alcoholism, and health problems. Through these times my grandparents (who will be referred to as my parents) tried to mask their difficult emotions from us. However, because of a deep, unspoken connection that exists between all people my brother and I still knew, and tried to help.

My father served in the military for many years. As my brother and I got older, he would tell us stories about what he did during his service and what he enjoyed most about it. While he was talking about his service, you could feel a deep sense of pride pouring from him while he spoke, but I could also feel a silent depression because he could no longer serve.

My father enjoyed being helpful and doing jobs that helped others. He took pride in taking care of his yard and being able to work on any job to the best of his ability.

However, when my father would try to get a job he always seemed to have a physical restriction that stopped him from doing the job completely, and in turn, this caused his depressed when I felt this because of our connection, I would try to go out although he never asked, and help him with his jobs. In helping him, he taught me life lessons like being respectful of my elders, and responsibility; because of this I have felt closer to him while he was alive and still feel connected to him today.

My mom, in her younger life, was an alcoholic but she overcame it. She made rules to keep it out of the house and became an addictions psychologist to help others with their problems. She further pursued her goal and got her Doctorial Degree in Addictions Counseling after my dad died. This was amazing because my father was the person who started her on this path; the connection that she had with him helped her keep going in the hardest of times. Mom was always the worst about trying to hide her emotions, especially when my father died and she was working while going to school online. I could tell how devastated my mom was through the connection that we shared as mother and daughter, and as best friends. She would hide in her room so we would not know but you could feel the emotion running in the house. My belief became stronger by knowing this connection and being able to use it to help her.

I believe that we are all connected in some way, and because of this, I know that my father is still lives in my family’s hearts because we all had a spiritual and emotional connection to him. Who are you connected to?