Half empty

Isaiah - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: gratitude

“Half Empty”

I believe that some people think the cup of water is half full. Other people think that it’s half empty. What I mean by that is if you live your life to the fullest, then the expectations life expects you to fulfill throughout your entire life. If you live life to the fullest, then probably the cup of water is half empty because you’ve already seen everything you can possibly do. But, if you jus sit around and let the world pass you by, then the cup of water to you is half full because you haven’t gotten the chance to live life and see what it offers to you. When I was little my parents always knew I would grow up to do great things to the world and change it. But as I grew up, I started to just slum around and be lazy, and not be very active. My parents always told me to do go out and enjoy the Earth and experience it for myself, but I would just do the same thing.

In other words I thought that my cup of water was half full. I thought that because my life was pretty much the same thing every day: go to school, come home from school, do my homework, then go to bed, that’s it. As I grew more and more, I really wanted to do something with my life. So, I started to do other things to break the boring flow of energy going through my days. I began to stay at school longer than I had to, but I really don’t know why I did. I joined soccer for enrichment to make the day move by faster, and started working more at my grandpa’s upholstery shop. But, I was only in 3rd grade when I was doing this. I shouldn’t have to be working to defeat my so-called “boring” life. I should have been out and about doing the things I liked, being with friends who enjoyed my company with theirs.

A few years passed and I’m now in 7th grade. I have tons of friends and my life is going great. I sometimes work and clean but not to get rid of the boring feeling inside of me. I do it to have the money. Even though I’m 13 years old, I get paid. I receive a paycheck/allowance of about $25-$35 dollars in cash every week I no longer work for fun or clean for fun, but I do it so I can obtain money and buy other things to entertain myself instead of being “bored” at home. Now I think my cup of water is half empty. I have figured out something to do with my life, but not for the rest of it. I will grow up and have a business of my own and never be “bored” again.