I finally Flew

Maria - falls church, Virginia

As a child I believed that pixie dust was real. Possibilities are endless and that the grass should be green on both sides. I was in love with Disney movies and Peter Pan really got to me. Peter Pan says, “With a smile in your heart you can fly,” you just need a little pixie dust. Even though I found out pixie dust isn’t real, it’s about the meaning. We all have a little pixie dust in our lives. It’s whatever drives us to do the things we love. It could be God, family, security, or friends.

People read this paper and think I’m crazy. You don’t need people to succeed. I want others to believe in dreams, let go and have a fun. We are all given the spark that makes us special, and sometimes we need a little push to realize it. My pixie dust would be my parents. There are moments in my life where I needed them to keep going.

My parents first “sprinkled” me with dust when I learned to ride my bike. It was a beautiful day in the park. I was about five and wanted to ride without training wheels. My parents asked me first, and I told them I wanted the challenge. I grabbed my bike and ran over. A rush of anticipation and fear ran through my body like a wave. I was on my own pedaling down the street, until a stick interrupted my ride.

My mother rushed over and started crying. I cried I would never ride a bike again. Later my daddy asked why I took off the training wheels, and I told him I thought I was ready. He looked at me and said, “Then try again.” I begged him not to go back on, but he explained that life always knocks you down. It’s a battle that tests how far you can go. I realized he was sprinkling me with pixie dust when he said the words that stuck with me forever, “I BELIEVE IN YOU.” I got my bike and jumped on. With my foot on the pedal, my butt on the bike pad, and my daddy holding the bike I started. I rode a little past the park and thought about what my dad said. I told him to let go, and the best thing happened. For the first time I flew!

We have some of the best influences in our lives. I think the best “pixie dust” should be ourselves. People have such low self-esteem they don’t even encourage themselves to go out for their dreams. We should go crazy, and be independent. We should hear our inner voice telling us “I think I can, I think I can.” The best medicine for doubt is reassurance. I never parted ways with being that unique child with a lifetime of imagination, and I don’t ever plan to .Next time you need a little pixie dust, think about what has helped you fly this far.