Why I Believe

Jose - Los Angeles, California

Why I Believe

According to Shelly Long, “If you don’t quit, and don’t cheat, and don’t run home when trouble arrives you can only win.” I believe this quote is true because I have a sister who didn’t graduate from high school and had two kids before she was twenty-one. Most people expect for a person like that to live with their parents the rest of their lives, work for minimum wage, hardly have money for cloths and food for her and her kids, and continue to be irresponsible. People also think to themselves, who would want a woman with no experience and two kids? Even my family was criticizing her instead of supporting her. My sister was also a single mother, but she couldn’t quit on her kids so she had to go out and look for a job. She got a job right away because one of her cousin worked at a fashion store and she helped her get hired by recommending her to the manager. While she was working, my mom would help her by taking care of her kids. She now had no time to go out with her friends or go anywhere because if she wasn’t working, she had to be home taking care of her kids. When my mom would have the kids and my sister was free, she still couldn’t go out because she didn’t have any money. All the money she earned would go to rent and her kids’ needs like cloths, food, and school supplies. My sister is my hero because she never quit never gave up she would always take care of her problems. The main reason why she’s my hero is because she did all this being a single mother. She still did it all herself because when she had a problem she never asked someone to solve it for her, She did it on her own.

She now has the car that she’s always wanted, her kids have what they need and even more than what they need because they have lots of brand-name shoes, clothes and video games.

I believe “If you don’t quit, and don’t cheat, and don’t run home when trouble arrives you can only win,” I believe this quote is true because it says if you never quit you can only win. High school for me is something that I need to win in and not quit. Coming from a family where none of my sisters graduated, it puts so much pressure on me because I’m the youngest and the only one that can still graduate. My mom is constantly bitching at me telling me about why I have to graduate because it can help me and I can get a good job and even go to college and get a good education and make a lot of money to help myself and her when she gets old. She also tells me how I’m her only hope and how much it would mean to her having a son that graduated from high school and go to college and was successful in life. She’s righ,t but by her telling me this she just puts so much pressure on me.sometimes I’m just thinking what if I do bad and I mess up because I can’t concentrate.

My sisters also put so much pressure on me because they tell me I’m dumb if I don’t graduate because I already past my CAHSEE and all I need are my credits. They also tell me I’m not going to graduate because I don’t do any homework, study, or read. They also say they’ve never seen me put or take anything in my backpack and all I get is get D’s and fails. Instead of encouraging me they put me down. But I believe “If you don’t quit, and don’t run home when trouble arrives you can only win.” I believe that because in my first two years of high school I’ve been ok and passed grades every year no matter what because I haven’t quit and I’m not going to quit. I have all my credits even though they’re not all A B or C. But I pass. If I don’t quit, I will graduate from high school and go on to a decent college and end up with a good job. But most important, I’ll prove everyone wrong. That’s why I believe “If you don’t quit, and don’t cheat, and run home when trouble arrives you will only win.”