All Are Equal

Maloree - Moroni, Utah
Themes: equality

I believe that everyone should be treated equally no matter their skin color, age, or gender. I’ve always been taught to treat others the way you want to be treated. I have a boyfriend who is Latino; we have been dating for four years. When we first started dating we went out to dinner at a restaurant. As we walked into the restaurant together, the waitress greeted me and said nothing to my boyfriend. She acted as if no one was there with me. I thought that was really rude but we gave it a chance. We sat down and were deciding what to order. The waitress came to take out order and she asked me what I wanted first. As she took my boyfriends order she never made eye contact once and she spoke in a boring mono tone to him, acting like she really didn’t care. She didn’t even ask if he wanted a drink I had to tell her to get him one. We got our food and ate it fast; we wanted to get out of there. We left, without leaving a tip, very unsatisfied. It really hurt me that they would treat my boyfriend like that just because of his skin color.

We had another incident when he got pulled over. He got pulled over for the muffler; the cop said it was too loud. When the cop went to his door the first thing he did was make him get out of the car. The cop looked the car over and took his driver’s license, registration, and insurance. After waiting for twenty minutes the cop came back and gave him a ticket for the muffler being too loud. The thing is that I got pulled over for the same thing a couple days later. All that the cop asked me for was my driver’s license. The cop did not make me get out of the car and I didn’t get a ticket. It took about ten minutes, half the time it took when my boyfriend got pulled over.

These are my stories of seeing someone being treated unfair because of their skin color. I’ve learned that you treat others how you want to be treated and never look at someone differently because of their skin color, age, or gender. I believe that everyone deserves to be treated equally.