Judgment…I don’t think so.

Brianna - Johnstown, Colorado
Themes: tolerance

This I Believe Essay-

Judgement…I don’t think so.

There are many people in the world and many types of people, too. Types such as shy people, outgoing people, loud, obnoxious, quiet, shy, big, small. But you’re categorized into those groups by other people. And you have a little thing called personality and that’s just what makes you, you. Don’t ever let anybody tell you that you are wrong or have imperfections. God made us special in our own ways…and we are just fine the way we are.

In my everyday life, I believe that it is important to not judge people by the way they look, act, or accomplish their everyday life. We are all people on this earth, and we are people who deserve to be treated respectfully and equally be our peers and people around us.

Humans judge. That is just a fact. And once you realize early on in life what judging is, you become one. A judger. Just like all the other people in the world. Once reality and peer pressure sets in, you no longer become you. You become who people want you to be. From personal, past experiences, I have learned that part of peer pressure is judgment from friends, acquaintances, family, and all the people around you, even if they don’t know you. Everything about you changes. From wardrobe and hair, and eventually to personality and attitude. You suddenly feel like you finally fit in, and you feel like you blend in with the group. But sometimes, that’s not always a good thing.

This past year, I was thrilled to be a middle schooler, finally!

Being the person I am, I guess I was ready to take on the challenge from changing classes each hour, to dressing out for P.E. Knowing people from last year, I came in with a positive attitude, or at least I tried to. About the second week of school, I met my new best friend, or so I thought. We had met by an assigned seating chart in our advanced language arts class. We had exchanged numbers and would talk on the phone all the time, sometimes even for hours at a time. After winter break, everything about her changed. She became so judgmental of everyone, even for the slightest things, like they didn’t have brand name clothes from Aeropostale, or Hollister, to not having perfect hair in the morning. Before we knew it, she was down to four friends, and I was one of them. She had “kicked” everyone out of the group for those stupid reasons. Peer pressure set in and I was afraid to stick up to her. She had also chosen to kick out my best friend Paige, because she didn’t like the way she looked. Later on, I had also found she had lied to us about everything, even her family members. I questioned if this was really the kind of girl or influence that I wanted to hang around with. Things became more serious. She seemed to always be getting in trouble at home and not doing her work in some classes. This was defiantly not the kind of person for me to be hanging around with. I had confronted her about the lying and unfortunately we are no longer as close as friends. Obviously, I’m okay with it, but it doesn’t bother me too much.

But also, this experience has also brought me some learning. I have realized that when you judge, you are known as someone who doesn’t accept people for who they are. You are known as disrespectful and rude; and that is not about to be the title I’ll be labeled as.

Being in the middle of this situation, taught me a life long lesson. When you judge, you learn that eventually people start not to accept you for who you are. And I don’t look at this experience as something bad that happened to me, but something good, and example, of exactly what I shouldn’t do.