Love Is all You Need

Erin - Las Cruces, New Mexico

Love Is All You Need

I believe in love. Have you ever experienced a near-death experience, and all you could think about was your loved ones? Have you ever felt so worried about someone you love, you didn’t think you would ever feel better? I have.

Two years ago, my Mom almost died. She was sick with a cold, but the cold lasted almost six weeks. When she finally got over the cold, things didn’t get better. She started getting even more tired, to the point where she could barely get up a single flight of stairs. That went on for almost two months. On the day of the Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince book release, Mom noticed that she had jaundice. Her eyes had turned a scary color of yellow, along with her fingernails. The next day, she checked into the hospital.

When Mom had been sick, it took too long for her white blood cells to fight off the virus. When they finally had fought it off, they continued to fight. They couldn’t stop. Since there was nothing left to fight, they attacked the red blood cells. When she checked into the hospital, she was down to a quarter of the amount of blood she should have.

Mom had developed a type of plasma on her blood, and she had to take steroids to destroy her immune system.

My Mom is now anemic, and must go to the doctor every two months, just to make sure her white blood cells don’t start acting up again.

I remember this too well. I remember feeling so worried, I felt sick. I believe that love helped her get better. If not for our love for her, and her love for my sister and me, I don’t think she would still be with us today.

Mom told me a while ago that she felt so tired, and the only thing that kept her heart beating was the thought of my little sister and me. She said that when she did find sleep, which was hardly ever, she dreamt about us, and only us.

I hope I never ever experience that again, or cause anyone to experience that. It is the most excruciating pain in the world. It’s like having your heart wrenched out of your chest, except worse.

I believe in love, and thanks to love, my mom is still alive and well.