Young Women Should Just Be themselves.

Taysia - las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe that young ladies should be able to be themselves in front of young men. Some men don’t think that women can do what they can do. Some people say, “Oh, football is a rough sport; girls can’t play. But that’s not true. A lot of girls play rough, too. And some men think, “Oh, all girls are girlie girls.” But a lot of girls are tomboys.

I think a lot of boys stereotype girls. They always think girls can’t get dirty or they always have to look pretty. Not all girls like to wear make-up and be pretty. Some girls like to get messy and play in the mud every once in a while. It’s just those girls don’t like to show that side of themselves to guys. Like me sometimes I can be a girly girl but sometimes I like to get dirty and rough.

A lot of girls my age want to do a lot of boy things, but they are embarrassed. A lot of girls are scared of what other people think. Girls think they look too manly or they are too girly. I think girls should just be themselves and if people don’t like them for who they are, then that’s their problem.

The reason why I’m writing about this is because I see a lot of girls in middle school not being themselves because they care what other people think. I’m not going to lie. I do it too. I understand it is very hard to be yourself. But I think all of the young ladies should at least try to. Trying won’t hurt anybody. And if that person doesn’t like you for who you are, then oh well.

I also don’t think men should just assume things about what girls can achieve. Because if they do, then how will they ever know the truth? Some women are actually stronger than men. I know it doesn’t sound correct, but it’s true. Men, boys, or whoever should not stereotype ladies because of the way they look or the way they talk or maybe even the way they act.

Women are very self conscious. They think they are too fat, too skinny, too tall, and too short. But if we all looked the same, then life would be boring. We wouldn’t know who was who, or what the other person was like because we would all be the same.

I am in seventh grade. I go to Lynn Middle School in Las Cruces and I see this every day. I think a lot of the time girls get into fights with their friends because they act different in front of boys. But who would want to lose a friend because a dumb reason like that? I know I wouldn’t.

I believe young ladies should just be themselves in front of young men. Even though we might be embarrassed, I still think we should.