*The three L’s: Live, laugh, and Love*

Shekiah Merecedes Nicole - Las Cruces NM, New Mexico
Themes: carpe diem

Life is full of experiences…Good events, and even though we don’t like it, bad events, too. People die, people are born. Still, we learn from these experiences. When most of us were little, we didn’t know how to do a lot of things. We just mostly slept, ate, and went to the bathroom. Our parents did most of the work for us. But sadly, good years sometimes come to an end.

It’s hard to explain all the wonders of life. Even if you’re in a bad situation, it is still good. Just look at the positive side. When people die, for example, just look at it as they are out of their pain and they will always be with you. No matter how corny that sounds, it is true.

I have experienced a lot with death. It’s a scary thing. Don’t you think so? Sometimes I think about how it will be when I die. Will I die peacefully, or will I die in a bad situation?

My mom told me that when I was little, I was a daredevil. I would do everything and anything that came to mind.

I remember one time I was really afraid to jump off a diving board. It was really high. But I still tried it. I was only eight and I was really afraid when I looked down. Finally, I jumped. My foot got caught in the drain. I thought I was going to die. A lot of things raced through my mind like “Am I going to die?” or “I wish I didn’t jump.” I didn’t know so much could go through my head at one time. But luckily the lifeguard helped me out.

My jumping off the diving board was good because, even though I was afraid, I still tried it and I lived. And without the almost dying thing, it was kind of fun.

Me grandma used to have this saying: “Don’t let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game”. What do you think that means? Take a minute and think…. To me this basically means that when you fear something, do it and don’t just stand there wishing you did. Also, love each moment and second you’re spending with friends or family.

What I believe in is living each day like it’s your last because you never know when or how you’re going to die. You could die tomorrow or today.

So what is it that you really want to do?