Happiness; the human motivator

Hank - durango, Colorado

The human system has infinite governing values. Our entire world is dictated by their own principles, far more than those of their government. So, why are our values aimed toward our pleasure? Why do people’s ideals change as time, fashion, and friends do? Why? The pursuit of happiness.

Our manifest destiny has changed over the years. It began with racial, segregated statements, proposing that the white man is to be the divine leader. Then, all races were inclusive, though still unwelcome in some parts of society. Race was followed by sex. Women were permitted rights as well. Government corrections were made and democracy and socialism rose to power. Why was this done? Because happiness is defined by what people do.

Happiness governs my every move. I am unable think of a time when I have done something that wasn’t for my own or a significant other’s pleasure. I then consider my values. Do they pertain to my, or the general public’s happiness in life? I do what I think will help me to be satisfied. It may be doing something that will hurt me at the time, but it will always satisfy me in the end. This is why every person has his or her own set of values. To a villain or a killer, values may pertain only to their own happiness. People rob to make money, which satisfies them. That is why his or her values are different than someone who thinks it is unpleasurable to steal.

I have realized portions of this belief through music, particularly that of gangs and violence. Though gang members are known for killing and hurting, they do it to feed their family, be recognized by other members, or even to afford money to go to school. They have bad values, but commit crimes for happiness in their selves, their family, and their peers. Quoting an inspiring rapper named Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones (NAS), “ The time is now good or bad morals make peace with me”.

My morals do change as time goes by. At times things are thought out rashly or acted upon with blunt force. The same occurred during the slave days. White men had no guilt in pressing what they thought was less than human. It was pleasing to work less every day, while property was working for you. But people became insecure. They began to question their authority in working these people to death. Eventually, they were unhappy, and fought a war to ensure happiness of those who were slaves and those who pitied them. Some fought back, being perfectly happy with their own ideals on slavery.

When I act out of want of pleasure, it slowly changes my morals. If it is beneficial to me, drastic changes occur. My core belief on this matter is that if the decision is made to act on happiness, it should be first considered, “Who is happy?”