Just Do It

yajaira - los angeles, California
Themes: carpe diem

Just Do It

Stop, drop, and roll. Okay, okay no don’t do that. But do stop for a second. For this could change your life. Ask yourself the following questions as you read. Do you ever stop to smell the roses? Or see what color the sky is today? Have you ever really stopped to think, what if my loved ones weren’t there? Or has your daily routine formed a blindfold right in front of your eyes covering appreciation? I dare you to be spontaneous. Make your life an adventure people would love to read. After all that’s exactly how it should because I believe life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. Where you at?

Walking by myself to my grandmother’s house, a block away from school is all I need for me to see, feel, and smell life. To love every second of it, it is as simple as looking at the tress. Not money. All I need to feel the peace in this tiny part of the world is in a small walk. Not popularity. The scent doesn’t stay behind; it’s the smell of the rain, wind, or smog in Los Angeles, which makes me appreciate life. Not drugs. It’s those small everyday things that make my life worth living.

Small adventures take place every day of my life. Life is what you make it, not something that is predestined. I make it, or at least try to make it, so that it works out for the best, even in it’s most mysterious and weird ways of working. I make small adventures like going to a place I’ve never gone to before. It happened just this last week. I’d always see it. I always wanted to go there. So it was Friday. I had to be back at my grandmother’s house at a certain time which at that time only gave me 2 hours. But that sure didn’t stop me. No way. I only had one dollar on me and really that’s all I needed. So as my partner in crime and I made our way to China Town. The adventure had just made its way to the beginning. We tried on all these funky kinds of shoes, saw beautiful cultural things, and got to see a small part of China. Great isn’t it? All in such little time. So I got to see a little part of China, and I even went back to my own little part of the world, La Placita Olvera. There I got see even more beautiful things, a guy playing the harp. Now, when do you get to see such great melody being played besides on You Tube? So far so good right? Take the adventure. Just do it. No, my friends this story hasn’t come to it’s ending. I got to go to a place I didn’t even imagine. A place I really didn’t know existed.

Union Station. Wow, my first time there! Seeming like something out of the movies, I couldn’t believe the fact that it had always been there, it felt so unreal. I literally felt like a little kid in a candy shop. To see it in movies was one thing, but to be inside it was 10 times better. Here I am at Union Station, and I wasn’t just going to leave. Hell no! I was there and I was going to start the beginning of an adventure.

We made our way down the stairs to where the subway was located. It had been so close, with the doors wide open, I couldn’t just stand there. We looked at each other and knew exactly what the other one was thinking. We got inside the subway and literally almost left with it. It had seemed like a good idea to go inside it since it was parked. And I mean when was I going to get another chance to be at the union station, right? So there we go inside the small part of the train and, as we entered it, I felt it move. I was like, “What? No way!” I turned quickly and saw the train starting to move. I didn’t know what to do. The first thing that came to mind was, where is this going to stop? I felt the adrenaline rushing down to my feet. I didn’t know what to do, or where to go. The only solution that occurred to me was to run to the nearest exit. The good part, the part that saved me a trip to god knows where, was that I was only a few steps away from the door. I lunged at the door being lucky enough that they actually opened. I exhaled a deep, deep breath, followed by a few chuckles. “Wow was that a close one”, I said laughing out loud. We made our way up to the stairs literally making abdominal muscle from laughing so much at what had just happed. It was a mixture of adrenaline, and nervousness going through my veins to my heart. I was going to have to start running, but I didn’t I power walked. It was 5:30 on the dot and the exact time I had to me at my grandmothers. The way back was a race between me and the clock. It was the challenged that made this adventure go up a notch higher.

Never in a million years would of a day filled with surprises, excitement, and knowledge come into action if I hadn’t taken the dare to take the adventure. Now, I wonder how many things I missed, because I was too mad to go, or too focused on things that didn’t matter. Set aside your pride, and forget that you have fallen, live life as an adventure, make it worth living. Or you too will miss from a lot of things you never imagined. Just do it.