Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

Victoria - Apple Creek, Ohio
Themes: setbacks, sports

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body

When people say pain what do you think of? I think of physical pain, but some people say that pain is all in your head. At least that is what my mom tells me sometimes. I believe that pain is the best way to build character and become stronger, physically and mentally.

Three years ago I went to a show with my favorite horse Lance. Lance is a Hafflinger and is the prettiest color. His hair is golden with a bleach white main and tail. We were both excited because we were going to jump. Apparently my horse knew what we were supposed to do, took off at full speed and started bucking. I lost my balance and fell off. I did not break anything but I tore all the skin off my left elbow and when I fell I landed right on my butt. It hurt really bad and I really, really wanted to cry, but I did not. I was in so much pain that day but I did not give up. After that I learned not to just get on my horse and go but also to watch for his signals.

People always say when you fall off, you should get right back on. I never understood this until I was in third grade. My sister Sarah, and I were riding one day, it was a beautiful day, the sun was shinning and the wind was not blowing. All of a sudden my sister’s horse saw something blowing across the ground, took off, and started bucking. As soon as her horse bucked she flew right off and hit the ground, hard. She had broken her left arm. The spot that she broke was her growth plate in her wrist, the same spot she broke when she was four years old. She did not get back on.

I felt bad for Sarah because for a long time we could not get her back on a horse because she never was made to get back on when she fell off. Sarah’s pain showed her she had to push through what she was scared of in order to get over it even though it hurt her.

Every year I dread the start of track season. At the beginning of track I am so out of shape. After the first couple of practices I am really sore. I think that after I get sore it makes me better because every year I start running earlier so that I am not in as bad of shape when practice starts. I remember my eighth grade year I had surgery on my right wrist so I could not run any over the winter. After the first day I was so sore I could not touch my legs. My freshman year I learned from that mistake and I ran before and I was not sore at all.

Throughout having horses and playing sports, the mistakes I have made have made me better. All the times I have been hurt I have just tried again only twice as hard and got over the pain. From experience pain really does build character, and pain is weakness leaving the body.