Does Natures Give you Enough Time to Live?

Daniel - Los Angeles, California
Themes: carpe diem

Life is short. Everyone dies eventually. People live their lives not thinking about it because most people are afraid of death. Cicero once said that ‘’Life given as by nature is short, but the memory of a life well spend is eternal’’. I believe people that do great things and help shape the way people live are remembered for ever.

I believe that people can do great things despite of how long their lives are. The average person lives about 80 years. That might seem like a long time, but the reality is that you don’t start living your life till you’re an adult. I am 17 years old and sometimes I wonder if I am going to have time to live my life after or will I die before that happens. I plan to do a lot of things that I am not able to right now. Eating and laughing, the kids eat their lunch not thinking that life is short.

I had a neighbor, he was an A student at school, that was 17 years old. He planed to go to college and help his family out. He was at the top of his class and had a great future ahead of him. It was a Tuesday night. He was walking home from work that night. According to the police report, he was confronted by two gang members. The two confronted him and asked him for his iPOD. My friend had to refuse, and that night he was shot dead. He was planning to be to study law and be a judge. He wanted to enforce the laws because he was tired of the gang violence in our neighborhood. He wanted to change the way people lived. He wanted to stop the fear people had living there. Then the only thing it took was one night to end it all.

When I think about it I just wondered what he could have been if he hadn’t gotten shot that night. His life was cut short in a hart beat.

The life we live is not long. And sometimes this short life can be cut even shorter. There is nothing we can do other than live every day like is it our last.