Monica - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: family, setbacks

I believe in my mom Lillian. It all started when I was about five or six. My mom, dad, and brother and I used to go to my godparents’ house every weekend and spend the night. We even had our own rooms. My brother and I loved my godparents so much. Some would even say I was spoiled with my godfather because he would give me whatever I wanted. He was awesome. Al least that’s what I used to think.

When my brother and I stayed over, we always had lots of fun. At night, I went to my room and watched TV. My brother would be in his room, also. Who knew what he was doing? Probably watching TV or on the computer. It was the only computer in the whole house and it just had to be in my brother’s room. But, oh well, that’s not what I’m here to talk about. I’m here about what happened in my room.

The door to my room never closed right. I would be in my room, lying down and I would hear someone at my door. The door would open and it would be my godfather. He would enter and I would move so he could sit down on my bed. I didn’t know what he wanted. When he came in he did stuff that was not right. He would pull my shirt up on my nightgown and then start to pull my underwear down. I didn’t know what he was doing because I was so young at the time. But I knew it wasn’t right. I wasn’t sure what to do. My godfather started touching me in places that weren’t the right places to touch. I hit my godfather’s hand out of the way and told him to stop. I didn’t like what he was doing. He told me not to tell anyone about what he did. I didn’t at first because I thought everyone would be angry at me.

My mom was really protective, so when I wasn’t acting normal, my mom would ask me if anything was going on – if anyone was hurting me. I would tell her no, but inside I wanted to tell her. Well, this continued, and I would never tell anyone about it. Finally my mom took me to the doctors and I told her. We did whatever we could to stop this. We even took him to court. Finally we stopped it. The verdict didn’t come out the way I wanted it. But my ex-godfather got three years of probation. Now he can’t travel. He can’t come anywhere near my house or my school. It’s not much, but it’s enough I can live with.

I believe in my mom because she was with me when we first took him to court and is with me now. She makes sure that no one will ever hurt me again.

That’s why I believe in and love my mom.