I Believe In My Son

Danielle - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: birth, parenthood

I Believe In My Son

By Danielle

I believe in my son Gabriel. I am a thirteen-year-old mom of a two-month-old baby boy. My life has always been rough, but the toughest thing I’ve ever had to do was give my baby up for adoption. When I became pregnant, it wasn’t my choice, but I was so afraid for my son because I was so young. My mom and I were never close until I became pregnant. That’s when my mom and I really became close.

My mom and my pastor told me that an adoption was an option, but because I let my fear get to me, I didn’t think about adoption. I told my mom that I was truly afraid for my son. Most people would say, “She’s just too young.” But unless you’ve been through what I have, you will never know. I had the hardest time doing things, even though I never showed my struggle in trying to do my work in school and at home, I stayed strong because I knew I was doing it for my son.

Even though I will never see my son again, I know he’s in a safe home and he will get all the things he needs. If he was with me, he probably wouldn’t have everything because my family and I live in poverty. I know if my son knew what I did, and why I did it, he would be happy.

I didn’t want my son to be like me, to grow up without a dad. My dad was always a secret kept from me because my mom was with my step-dad. At the age of six he told me he wasn’t my real dad, and that he didn’t care about me. That really cut me into pieces. I wanted my son to have a two parent home.

My son will never know that I was his mom. But now he does have a mom and a dad who will always love him and never tell him they weren’t his biological parents. The people he is with now tried for nine years to have a baby and couldn’t. When I was going through the adoption with my son, I didn’t think I would be strong enough, but I have a very supportive family, friends, and teachers. I would like to thank them all for helping me in get through that tough thing I had to do.

I’m not the only one young parent, so this is to other girls who are pregnant or who are teen parents. Don’t get rid of your child by abortion. Give them the best, give them as a gift to someone who can’t have kids, yet want kids. You may say you can’t do it, but you can. I believe in my son Gabriel to become the best that he can be.

I also believe in you.