Never Shouldn’t Interfere with What You Do

Luis - Los Angeles, California

This is what I believe: not everyone is talented in things like sports, jobs or

schoolwork. Everyone has to work for it in order to be the best. To me not everyone is

born with talent that I don’t believe. They have to try it first If they think they can handle

it then go for it. But not all can give their 100%. It takes time to achieve it.

It all began in 2008 spring semester. The sport I chose was track and field. I

thought it might be easy but I was dead wrong. The workout was too much for me. I

wasn’t able to keep up with the others. If that wasn’t bad enough, my dad keeps telling

me to run faster. He thinks I’m slow. So I use my dad words to run, but something

prevents me from running faster. It just keeps hitting my head that I can’t do it, but I do

my best everyday, ignoring it, pretending it’s not there. That is the pain in my head that

keeps affecting me till today.

I am person who came from a family from of athletes. I was pretty much sad that I

wasn’t able to become an athlete like my family. At my first race against Belmont

I was holding the batons, my teammates cheering me on. It felt so good, but I didn’t

finish first or second. Deep inside I knew I could have done better. My teammates felt

sad. We didn’t win. We gave it all we had, but it wasn’t enough. Before the day was

going to be over, it was the 4×4 next, which means one person does one lap. I was going

third, but didn’t finish strong and at the end we lost. By the end of the day our team won

against Belmont, but I didn’t feel that I won.

Days went on and still I wasn’t improving. I kept thinking to myself it’s all in my

head and that I’m not pushing myself. Everyday before the race I try my hardest, but

slowly reaching my potential. Everyone around passing me makes me feel that I don’t

belong here, but feel I must keep going. My friends once told me that I’m sort of a mixed

experiment of sprint and distance and that I don’t belong in either event. That really hit

me hard so to prove it I tried in every race against our opponent to get a better time. But I

wasn’t able to. It was like a scar to me, carrying it with me for ever.

Trying to prove that I can do it, not letting anyone interfere, these are the things

I’m trying to focus on. When track and field was over, cross country was about to begin

in the summer. Within two weeks our first race was coming soon, I wasn’t even ready for

distance, but I had to try. Finally the race had come. More than 200 runners were there

some them in even better shape than me. I started to feel nervous again and this time it

was distance, which I have never done. At the end I got a good time which made me

proud of myself. From that day I started to do distance and kept on improving my time.

Now it has gotten worse. A new year and track have begun. This time my whole

right leg hurts from my ankle to my thigh and there’s nothing I can do about it

except, hope its gets better. The memories are coming back and I don’t want it to happen

again. This time I can handle it without anything stopping me. I believe in myself, having

faith on my side.