I Believe In Acceptance and Change

Karen - El Mirage, Arizona
Themes: change, family

I’ve had to overcome many obstacles in my life just like everybody else. Either with friends, family, or challenges that life puts us through. Like me for example, I’m 15 years old, and my parents have been divorced since I was 4 years old. I’ve been dealing with it practically my whole life. It’s been real hard for me but I’ve learned to overcome it, to make my life easier.

See my mom wants me here and my dad wants me there…at the same time! I wish sometimes I can make two of me, but we all know that’s not possible. So I try my best to please both of them, although it’s hard because I live here with my mom while my dad lives in California. And my stepdad isn’t exactly a big help either. He loves me like if I was his real daughter and I’ll always appreciate that because not everybody is willing to take care of someone else’s kid. But he doesn’t like it when I talk to my dad on the phone or my family from my dad’s side, because he says I have nothing to do with them. But I love my dad and his family and that’s something my stepdad has to learn to accept just how I have accepted having divorced parents. But I know I’m not the only person going through this, so all I can say is to do what ever you believe in.

I believe that whether you have divorced parents or not, the problems your parents had in the past or now shouldn’t apply to you. I believe that you have to decide who you want to live with and spend most of your time with. You’ll always be more closer to one of your parents, whether it’s your mom or dad, I believe you should love them both equally, and should give each of them the opportunity to spend quality time with you and let them be involved in your life.

I believe that having a stepdad is not always a bad thing. I believe they have the right to educate you, and be a part of your life, as long as they respect you. But as much as I believe that I believe that they have no right to get mad or upset if you want to spend a couple of days with your dad, or if you live in another state like me, then they shouldn’t get upset when you call them to keep in touch.

I believe that learning to overcome this obstacle has been a great deal of help. I believe that not having your birth parents together shouldn’t bring you sadness, but an opportunity.